Almost. Never. Happens.
Correction: Never Happens.
"YOU will get rich when the acquisition/funding comes through," I say. "And that's great; we're happy to help make that happen...
- "But, WE don't make money when the 'lucky strike' happens...
- What guarantees can you possibly make to us about this event?
- "What if the CEO/VC decides to NOT increase the PR budget when the warchest fills-up?
- "What if an acquirer decides to suspend all vendor contracts? - will you go to bat for us?
- "When you hired us you suggested that you wanted to be primed for an acquisition/VC infusion - so, why should we expect a big retainer increase once that motivation is gone?"
Don't succumb to the client's pitch. PR agencies work very, very hard to promote their clients' successes, with no expectations of life-changing wealth as a result. Get paid for today's work today. "Tomorrow" will take care of itself.